Monday, September 1, 2014

A Sweet, Little Momma

I am a firstborn. Thankfully, my parents decided to have other children so that I could boss them around, micro-manage their lives, and tattle on them when needed.

I have always taken my big sister role to the extreme I guess. I remember the pink and white doll I was holding as my Grandma Eva came to my big living room in Groves and said the babies were on their way! For 8 months or so, Momma asked me if I wanted a brother or a sister, and apparently my answer changed on a daily basis. You're welcome, Momma - God blessed you with one of each! As a three year old I excitedly helped with Pampers, feeding, and most likely dressing the "dolls" Momma brought home from the hospital. Throughout life I would tell them what to wear, when to sing, and how to do things that a professional like myself knew how to do.

I love my brother, Tony, and sister, Katy. They have made me so proud in more ways than a little blog post like this could ever contain. I am thankful for their care, love, and concern for me when I need their guidance. I remember when Tony started playing the guitar. It might have been rough at first - but you would never know that now! Katy and I shared so many sister moments all throughout our growing up years. Both went on to graduate high school and college and make new friendships - but we always kept close and for that I am thankful. They traveled around the world ministering alongside me and they have lived across the U.S. in cities that God called them to. I thought I couldn't have been more excited for Katy on the day of her marriage to Stephen - but then came the day where I found out that I would be an aunt and would later meet my niece, Olivia.

In 2006, I had been out of college for 2 years and had no idea what on earth I would do with my life. Everyone has been in that stage, right? Then, next thing you know - my parents are moving to another continent to begin serving and living life in a village in Central Ghana. They would work with churches and schools and medical needs in their rural community.

A medical team from the U.S. had arrived to work a few weeks that summer. Things were busy and fulfilling and exhausting with the day-to-day duties that come with a village medical clinic.

Then they met her.


A bubbly, sassy, 10 year old tiny Ghanaian girl who needed medical care for a wound that wasn't healing properly. After trying hospitals, medicines, and prayer camps - things were looking a little dark. [Here's the part in the story where I have to ask God - What if she had not ended up in the prayer camp in Kotokata? What if my parents had chosen another village to live - I mean, You made all of them, but God do you know how many villages are in Ghana!? What if the medical team had never come to draw her to the clinic?] Who knew that this single encounter would begin a lifelong relationship with a precious girl who would become my sister?

Even though there is a 14 year age difference - God knew that I would need a "littlest" sister to encourage, talk about boys with, minister to, watch Law & Order with, and especially - to learn from.

Eight years after meeting Aggie for the first time, I find myself on the trip to Ghana that I just returned from. By this time, we've both been through a lot of ups and downs through life - but always take time to boss each other around or hug when we need to.

She has many other siblings - younger and older - that she has cared for and loves. I have met a few of them. However, I saw something in her this trip that really made me smile.

Momma and Daddy are caring for 2 boys who are 7 years and 10 years whose parents have both recently died in the past year or so. Their home life was difficult and are doing well under their new roof. Yaw is the older boy who has seen more than any child has ever needed to see. He is more emotional and sensitive. Kofi is the younger and he can dodge taking a shower like you've never seen. In Ghanaian culture - children have their specific jobs upon waking up each morning. Agnes made sure that these boys were doing theirs!

Kofi, Agnes, and Yaw enjoying our Beach Day at Cape Coast!


After making sure their chores of emptying the trash, burning the trash, and sweeping were finished, she would prepare hot chocolate and bread for each boy before sending them to take their bucket shower. When I arrived in the village, she had acquired the nickname Dadavi (Little Momma). Because the boys are not fully fluent in English, she gets to listen to their fighting and laughter and tattling if one of them has made an error! She then will relay the message to Momma or just handle the situation herself. Sometimes that is a stern talking to. Sometimes it is a punishment - but she's going to tell them what's what. They look up to her, respect her, and love her. She cooked special soups for them to dip their banku in. She directed the order of chores. She loved them well. She helped when Momma's plate was full of the daily tasks that seem to pile up at times.

Sometimes I need to stop and think about the people that look up to me and make sure that my attitudes are reflective of the God I love. I am thankful that I was able to see Agnes' love shown through the way that she cares for those little ones.

And I am happy to be able to call her my sister. 




No comments:

Post a Comment