Thursday, November 7, 2013

Why I Pack Shoeboxes

Each year since I can remember, I've spent October planning to pack Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes through Samaritan's Purse. Over 100 million boxes have been sent to children in over 130 countries. This number excites me and encourages me to participate year after year.

I wanted to share what I put in 2 of my boxes this year to give you an idea of how you can pack so much into a little package! I use the clear shoeboxes from Wal-Mart (but make sure the lid fits securely).

Here are the items I included in a 5-9 year old BOY box:

Hygiene:
Comb, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Soap (in sandwich bag), Washcloth, Bandaids

School:
Crayons, Flashcards, Eraser, Sharpener, Pencil Case, Pencils, Pens, Glue Stick, Scissors, Notepad

Toys:
Activity Book, Reading Book, Ball, Car, Harmonica

Other:
Handkerchief, Drawstring Bag, Socks, Flashlight, Batteries, Hard Candy          



Here are the items I included in a 10-14 year old GIRL box:

Hygiene:
Comb, Brush/Mirror, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Soap, Loofah, Bandaids, Deodorant, Manicure set, Headbands

School:
Colored Pencils, Flashcards, Eraser, Sharpener, Pencil Case, Pencils, Pens, Glue Stick, Scissors, Notepad, Ruler, Bookmarks

Toys:
Activity Book, Reading Book, Purse

Other:
Handkerchief, Socks, Flashlight, Batteries, Hard Candy, Wallet, Sewing Kit




I use a handkerchief for 2 reasons: 1) To wrap the inside of the box and hide the contents until opening the lid and 2) To use in daily life (After living overseas in Ghana I know many uses for them!)


That's HOW I pack shoeboxes.




But this is WHY I pack shoeboxes...

For these boys.


For this sweet child. 


For these girls who are so precious to God.





























It's not too late to grab some items and get a box ready. Use this website to find a drop off location close to your area. Boxes need to be dropped off during the week of November 18th-25th. It only costs $7 to ship and you can print labels online. Make it a project with your spouse, friends, children, or grandchildren. Even my 7 month old niece helped "pick" what books and baby dolls she wanted in her box.

Use this time of year to bless children who God loves. You'll in return receive a huge blessing as well. I know I have.

2 comments:

  1. Great ideas for the boxes! I'm borrowing your handkerchief idea for our boxes this year. My MOPS group is doing this as our mission outreach project for the fall, and Annive is filling one by herself for her first year in Awana Cubbies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know she will have a great time filling one! Someone showed us the bandana "trick" a few years ago and we haven't gone back to the traditional wrapping paper way. I like to send everything that can be useful!

      Delete