Monday, June 16, 2014

Stop to Celebrate

So I do a lot of thinking, but sometimes I don't stop to put it down in words. That's evident by my "Most Likely to Never Be Updated" blog! I get too busy - and that's a pitiful excuse - but the truth nonetheless.

There's this really big soccer/futbol/world cup thing going on right now. My brother in law is a soccer person. He has lots of soccer-y stuff - except maybe the plastic horn thing that they blow throughout the entire game. Tonight several of us were sitting around watching the USA vs Ghana qualifying game. I put on a Ghana jersey and had to get Steve to explain the rules of the game. I stalk blogs, not ESPN. I know my way around Hobby Lobby but couldn't tell you what sports have a half or a quarter or a period, etc.... So I was an impromptu soccer fan for the night (and actually enjoyed it!)

If you're unaware, I lived in Ghana for a year and a half and saw a lot of soccer there. I didn't know what was going on - I just know it is really something Ghanaians take seriously! One evening I was pouting about something (can't remember now) and was in my bedroom in Accra resting moping on my cot. It was hot or I was irritated or someone hurt my feelings - something along those lines. Everyone else was in the living room cheering for one of the Black Stars' games. All of a sudden you could hear a roar - up and down the streets, around the neighborhood, all of the surrounding area! GOALLLLLLLLL! It almost scared me to death, but thankfully it was a happy sound. My room windows were open and the sound resonated for several minutes. 

It took me a minute to stop having a pity party to realize the joy surrounding me. I had chosen not to be a part of it. I was doing what we all tend to do sometime and just assumed other people can enjoy life - but I'm gonna be mad. It really put some things into perspective for me that night. With all the cheering, you couldn't help but get excited. Many around me were so much happier.. 

How often do we refuse to stop and celebrate because we don't see what we are going through as a reason to celebrate? We get so used to trying to post something to impress someone or write something that will mean more or worry about not getting what we want - that we forget that the daily ins and outs of our life are where God has us for a reason. We can be taught. We can choose to celebrate little victories or chances to do things differently. 

This scenario has been on my mind this afternoon, even though this happened in 2009. I sometimes don't remember the things I did 3 days ago. I'm thankful for this memory. I want to stop and celebrate during days of adventure and days that are a bit more mundane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment